Regular dental examinations are recommended every 6 months. This includes:
- Extra-oral examination of your saliva glands
- Full dental examination including base charting
- Assessment of the Temperomandibular joint and tooth surface loss.
- Full periodontal assessment (exam of the gums)
- Oral cancer screening
- Radiographs (x-rays) if needed
- Photos- Our state of the art intraoral camera will take pictures of all your teeth from inside your mouth. We will then show you which teeth need treatment. This will help you understand why certain treatments are needed
- Bite analysis
- Saliva production / dry mouth
*Dental disease never cures itself. The longer you leave treatment, the more difficult it will be to do – creating more work, greater discomfort and increased cost. So, having a six monthly check-up is the best option!Sea
Blackrock Clinic Dentistry will show you the best way to care for your gums. We will assess the health of your gums, assess the plaque build up, the areas that you find difficult to clean and give you thorough instructions on how to maintain a healthy mouth. We will advise:
- Type of toothbrush, how to brush
- How to floss
- How to use Interdental brushes
- Mouthwash types
- How to clean around your orthodontic appliances effectively
- How to clean your wisdom teeth effectively
- How to deal with dry mouth
- Links between gum disease and smoking
- Links between gum disease and health problems
Periodontal disease (Gum disease)
Fissure sealants are a preventative dental treatment where a material is placed in the pits and fissures of your molar or premolar teeth to prevent dental decay. These teeth are the most prone to decay as we use these teeth for chewing. It is recommended that fissure sealants are placed on your molar teeth as soon as they erupt at age 6/7.
Fillings are placed when there is decay in a tooth or a tooth has fractured due to wear/tear/trauma. Fillings are usually placed under local anaesthetic but sometimes no anaesthetic will be required. The dentist will advise you of this before treatment is started. We use only white fillings at Blackrock Clinic Dentistry to give the optimum aesthetic result.
Root Canal Treatment (Endodontic treatment)
What is Root Canal Treatment?
Root canal treatment involves removing the nerve from your tooth. People often worry about this procedure but here at Blackrock Clinic Dentistry we can assure you it is usually a straight forward painless procedure.
Why Root canal treatment?
If the nerve is dead then it must be removed as it can cause an infection and a swelling. This can happen due to decay, truama, general wear, fracture.
- Usually carried out over 2 visits.
- We access the nerve through the core of the tooth.
- We clean, shape and enlarge the roots. A filling material is placed into each root.
- Usually a crown is required following root canal treatment to strengthen the tooth.
How will you feel post root canal treatment?
Patients may feel some pain for short while post root canal treatment. A painkiller may be required as the tooth settles down. Paracetamol and ibuprofen are the most commonly prescribed painkillers. A discomfort is normal but if this continues, please be ensure to contact.
Dentures are a removable appliance. They are suitable when a patient is missing any number of teeth. It is a simple solution and often the choice for many patients as its very straightforward treatment. Dentures can be placed directly after an extraction so you never need to worry about being left with a gap.
Acrylic dentures are suitable no matter how many teeth you are missing. An acrylic denture can be placed directly after extractions or at anytime throughout a patient’s lifetime if there is a space.
Metal (Cobalt –chromium)
This type of denture is usually thinner than the acrylic denture and has a more intimate fit with the gums. A metal denture requires other teeth to help with retention.
*We provide a next day(24hour) repair or addition service for dentures.
We complete all extractions at Blackrock Clinic Dentistry. These are usually completed under local anaesthetic and we try to make the appointment as easy as possible for the patient. We will create a stress free atmosphere. We can complete extractions under sedation if you feel nervous. Please see our information on sedation on the nervous patient page. We will ensure you have the appropriate analgesics post extraction. If you have any questions regarding extractions, then please contact us today to discuss.
This involves taking an impression and they can be fabricated within 24hrs. Any person that grinds their teeth at night should consider a night splint.
TMJ Pain, Teeth Grinding and Headaches
Temporomandibular Joint Disorders are a group of painful conditions that affect the jaw joint and surrounding muscles. TMJ pain often leads to symptoms that can become chronic and difficult to manage. People with TMJ disorders may exhibit a variety of symptoms including:
- Pain in the chewing muscles and/or jaw joint
- Radiating pain in the face, jaw or neck
- Headaches or Migraines
- Grinding of teeth
- Jaw muscle stiffness
- Aching pain in and around the ears
- Difficulty chewing or discomfort while chewing
- Limited movement or locking jaw
- Painful clicking, popping or grinding in the jaw joint when opening or closing the mouth
- A change in the way the upper and lower teeth fit together
A new breakthrough has just launched in the fight against TMJ pain. Patients that complain of TMJ pain, often also complain of headaches and also of grinding of the teeth. A new alternative appliance to a night splint has just come on the market and can be fabricated at Blackrock Clinic Dentistry. We are one of the few practices that are making these appliances and the studies are showing great results.
The new appliance is called CEREZEN and consists of removable ear inserts.
They are very comfortable and are custom made for each patients ears. They are clinically proven to reduce TMJ pain and have no night time discomfort. The ear pieces are invisible and can be worn throughout the day if you also feel that you grind or clench your teeth during the day.
The procedure to fabricate the ear pieces is very simple. An impression is taken of your ear canal and sent to the lab to be constructed. So if you have suffered from TMJ pain and grinding, this could be the answer to your problem. Call now to find out more or to book an appointment for an impression.
If you would like more information on this new appliance, See link http://www.cerezen.eu/ie
The best way to improve your sleep and prevent snoring is by using mouthpieces that have been designed for the perfect fit. We work alongside excellent dental technicians to provide a custom fit appliance that does just that.